ABC Radio Hobart and the City of Hobart are teaming up with the Clothing Exchange to fight the war on waste!
Join us and play your own part in the fight as the ABC's Craig Ruecassel looks to take on Australia's biggest waste issues again in a second three-part documentary TV series.
The City of Hobart is also tackling our city's waste issues head on, with aims to achieve zero waste in Hobart by increasing recycling programs and reducing waste disposal.
On Saturday 4 August we’re asking you to slow down your fast fashion by joining the City of Hobart and ABC Radio Hobart for a free War on Waste Clothes Swap.
Did you know that 6 tonnes of clothing are thrown out every 10 minutes? We’re on a mission to learn how, together, we can all do something about textile and fashion waste.
So, raid your wardrobe and join us to do your bit for the environment and have some fun at our free clothes swap.
We're calling for both women and men to get involved and update your wardrobe in a way that's great for the environment - and for free! This is your chance to become a Tassie war on waste warrior, so get a group together with your partners, mum, dad, bothers, sisters and friends and register today.
How to take part
Registrations are essential. Please ensure you register before Friday 3 August to take part in this great event.
Please make sure you’ve read the rules of the Clothes Swap before you register.
Date: Saturday 4 August
Venue: Hobart Town Hall
Check in: 10–11:30am
Clothes Swap: 12pm–2pm
Get in early to check in your items and be ready for when the Clothes Swap doors open at 12pm. Grab your War on Waste goodie bag from the ABC Radio Hobart team and enjoy a Saturday morning coffee from 10am.
New to clothes swaps? When you check your clothes in at the door at 10am you will receive buttons to use as currency once the swap opens at 12pm. Participants can take one item for each button they receive and there will be swap volunteers to assist.
Clothes Swap rules – please read before registering
• You can bring up to six items. If you have extra items, you’ll be asked to choose which ones you plan to swap
• We will only accept quality adult clothing (clean, well presented and undamaged with a long potential lifespan) which you would be happy to give to a friend
• We welcome all good quality adult clothing - men's and women's accessories, daywear, eveningwear, and sportswear of all sizes
• Items we won’t accept: swimmers, sleepwear, underwear or children's wear
• To make this swap extra memorable we encourage clothes which are locally made, designer, vintage, and fabulous, in one way or another
• 1 item = 1 swapping token. When you’re ready to leave just take your new goodies to the volunteers and they’ll check your items and sign you out
• If two of you see the same item and both of you want it we’ll do a coin toss and let fate decide
• Any left over clothing will be donated to the Red Cross
More info on how Clothes Swaps work
More info on War on Waste
War on Waste airs on ABC TV and iview from Tuesday 24 July 2018.
You can listen in to ABC Radio Hobart for more in-depth discussions and stories throughout the season.
Visit the War on Waste website for more information.